The Genealogy collection places particular emphasis on the history of Dutchess County and the families who have settled here, but the collection also contains information regarding families & towns from the greater Hudson Valley & New York State.
Resources that can be found in the Genealogy collection include:
- Federal Census records: in print, on microfilm or online using HeritageQuest (PPLD cardholders only).
- Obituary indexes for Poughkeepsie newspapers
- Family histories/genealogies
- County & town histories; county biographical & genealogical records
- Military & immigration records
- Church records
- Palatine & Huguenot records
- Genealogy periodicals: The New England Historical & Genealogical Register, New York Genealogical & Biographical Record, The Dutchess, et al.
All material in the Genealogy room can be searched via the online catalog. Items in this collection do not circulate and cannot be loaned via inter-library loan. Additionally, many items–due to their fragile nature–are subject to photocopying restrictions. The materials & room are available during all hours of library operation.
Ancestry.com – Find census, birth, marriage, death records and more. Remote access ended December 31, 2021.
Researching African American Ancestors in Dutchess County Guide