Hiking Backpack Kit
Loan Period: Seven (7) Days (non-renewable)
Available to: Poughkeepsie Public Library District residents, 18 and over, with a PPLD Library Card with no fines.
Pick Up/Return: Adriance Memorial Library, Checkout Desk
Number of Kits Available: Two (one red backpack kit, one orange backpack kit)
Kit Contains: Multiple parts that are reviewed at Check-out and Check-in
Fines: $20 if returned to Bookdrop (plus damages); $5 late fee per day
Borrower’s Agreement: Review and sign with staff at Circulation Desk before check-out and when checking back in. Includes Guidelines, Fines and Liability, Proper Use & Care. View Borrower’s Agreement here.
Hiking Backpack Kit At-A-Glance
- Lightweight Ventura Pal hiking backpack
- BFULL M12 x 50 binoculars with carrying case and strap and manual
- Sportneer Military compass with carrying bag and manual
- First aid kit pouch
- Dorcy LED flashlight and 3 AA batteries
- Emergency blanket
- Steno-pad for Trail Notes to share with hikers
- Explorer’s Guide 50 Hikes in the Lower Hudson Valley: Hikes and Walks from Westchester County to Albany County, 3rd ed.
- East Hudson Trails: Three-Map Set (Appalachian, Breakneck Ridge, Anthony’s Nose, Bull Hill, Canopus Lake, Fishkill Ridge and two parks: Fahnestock State Park, Hudson Highlands State Park)
- West Hudson Trails: Two-Map Set (Schunemunk Mt., Storm King Mt., Black Rock, Butter Hill, Long Path, Highlands Trail and three parks: Black Rock, Storm King, and Schunemunk Mt.)
- FYI: In August, the 4th edition will replace 3rd edition of book, 50 Hikes in the Lower Hudson Valley
Guidelines for Borrowing and Returning
- Seven (7) day loan period to a Borrower that is 18 or over with a Poughkeepsie Public Library District resident card in good standing, with no fines.
- The Hiking Backpack Kit is non-renewable. If not available, Borrowers may place a hold on the Kit.
- The Hiking Backpack Kit is checked out and checked back in during opening hours at Adriance Memorial Library with a staff member at the Circulation Desk.
- Borrower and Library Staff sign and date this Agreement and Guidelines, and complete the Agreement Form’s checks, using Hiking Backpack Kit Parts Guide, to mark the Kit’s parts at check-out and at check-in.
- Follow “Leave No Trace Principles” for day hikes, picnicking, or overnight camping.
What are the Fines and Liability?
- $5 per day for every late day, after the due date, will be charged to Borrower’s PPLD Library Card.
- $20 fine if the Hiking Backpack Kit is returned in the Book Drop of either library.
- If the items in the Hiking Backpack Kit are damaged, stolen or lost, Borrower is charged cost to replace.
What do you, the Borrower, Need to Provide?
Please review the hiking websites provided for tips, and what to bring, such as plenty of water, food, good walking shoes, extra socks, insect spray, appropriate clothing, sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, and a bag for collecting your trash to hike out with.
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
- Minimize campfire impacts (be careful with fire).
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.
Free Trail and Park Entrance Passes
Hike a trail or a park using the Library’s free passes, through PPLD’s MAP Passes (MAP = Museums, Aquariums, Parks), which are either available by Print on Demand (from anywhere) or Pickup/Return passes. See the selected list below, with trails for hiking, and make a reservation (up to 60 days in advance) for the date you wish to go from the MAP Pass web page or from the destinations below: