Library Cards (see information on Online Self-Registration below)
A free Poughkeepsie Public Library District card is available to all people who live, work, own property, or attend school in the City or Town of Poughkeepsie with proof of identification and status. Just stop at one of the checkout desks at Adriance or Boardman Road, and present valid photo identification along with an envelope (recently postmarked) with your current address, such as a utility bill. If you are new to the area and your photo ID doesn’t have your current address, please bring two pieces of mail with your current address. Your library card is renewable every two years; your card expiration date is in your patron record in the online catalog (Login in the upper right corner).
Your card allows you to borrow materials from either library in the Library District or in the Mid-Hudson Library System. It also allows you access to the resources provided via the Internet at www.poklib.org. We expect you to have your library card when in the library and we reserve the right to require you to present it for any library services. Further, we reserve the right to suspend your borrowing privileges if your account balance from fines and fees is $5.00 or more.
Please note that you are responsible for all items checked out on your card. Call the Library District immediately if your card is lost or stolen. Treat your library card like a credit card. First card replacement is $1; each subsequent replacement card is $5.
Online Patron Self-Registration (process changed effective January 20, 2016)
You can now register for a library card online! Fill out and submit the form below and within 1-2 business days you will receive an email with your library card number and temporary PIN. This card can be used to access all of our e-content! E-books, downloadable audiobooks, streaming videos; databases, all available! Your physical card will be held at the Boardman Road Branch Library; you will need it if you want to check out any physical items or visit other libraries in MHLS. To pick it up, simply stop in when the branch library is open with photo ID and address verification. Please contact the library with any questions.
Checking Your Patron Record (Login in the online catalog)
You can check your patron record to see what you have out, any fines you owe, and items you have on hold by clicking here. You can also renew items from your patron record.
How long can I keep materials I borrow?
- Books (including browsing), audio books, magazines, Nooks (no renewals) – 21 days
- DVDs, videos, music CDs, games – 7 days
- Downloadable audio books, ebooks – 7 or 14 days
Homework/seasonal materials may have limits due to demand.
- Renewals and reserves may be done in person, by phone, or in your OPAC record.
- Patrons may have a maximum of twenty-five (25) total items out at any given time. Of the 25, patrons may only have a total of ten (10) media items out at one time.
- New patrons may only have five (5) items out at a time for the first six (6) months of having a new card or registering after a lapse.
- Books, audio books, magazines – 10 cents per day per item
- DVDs, videos, interlibrary loans, Nooks – $1 per day per item
- Music CDs, games – 25 cents per day per item
- Maximum fine, per item – $10
- Unclaimed holds – $1 per item
- Lost or damaged materials – replacement cost (includes processing)
- Fines and bills may be paid in person with cash, check, or credit card. You may pay online through your OPAC record.
- Account with balances of $25 and over may be referred to collections.
- Fines and fees schedule is subject to change.
Need help keeping track of your checked out materials? Try using Library Elf!